The SaniTap evolved from the BushProof Handwasher, which was developed in 2007 and was rigorously tested under field conditions by various NGOs. The SaniTap contains the following important improvements:
1. Soap holder. The SaniTap has a special soap net which conveniently hangs next to the flow of water. This avoids soap getting soiled or lost: important because handwashing without soap is not effective.
2. A special spout which can easily be opened even by young children. The patent-pending spout is closed by a simple upward tap of the back of the hand. This avoids ‘second touch’ contamination of now clean fingers.
3. Larger volume. The Sanitap holds 3 litres of water, making it even more convenient to wash hands whilst retaining the water-saving feature. The volume is more than enough for a family of 5 to wash their hands at least 3 times per day.
4. UV resistance. The plastic laminate film used for the SaniTap is UV resistant – ensuring a long life even under tropical conditions. For optimum life, it is recommended to avoid exposure to full sunlight, as with any plastic.
5. Easy filling from the top. The SaniTap bag has a wide closeable inlet at the top, making it very easy to fill with water. This avoids the spout from getting lost as the previous version required this to be unscrewed before filling.
6. Easy carry handle. The bag incorporates a sturdy handle, making it easy to transport (e.g. for filling with water from a public water point).
- Volume: 3 litres
- Flow rate: 3 litres over 10 minutes
- Product life: 1 year. This assumes correct installation and use by a family of 5 washing hands 3 times daily
- Material (bag): 200 thick 4-layer impermeable food-grade plastic laminate consisting HDPE and nylon
- Material (spout): ABS
- Material (soap bag): Nylon
- Durability: The spout is rated for 10,000 opening/closing cycles. These feature has been verified through repeated field testing
- RoHS compliant
- Force to open the spout: The pulling force required to open the water flow is less than 10 Newton, making operation suitable also for young children
- Pull strength: The SaniTap is rated for a 50 Newton pulling force, which includes the normal force to open the valve, the weight of water when full, plus a safety margin
- Product artwork: Full colour client-customisable artwork (logos etc.) can be printed on the front of the product. The back of the product is printed with user instructions and is not customisable
- Warranty: Full warranty on technical / production faults